Friday, February 12, 2010

Welcome Abroad.

Wow. Has it really been a month since I've left? I apologize for lagging on this blog, but as they say..."better late than never?"

Let me start off with the explanation of why I decided to go abroad and why I chose Hong Kong. I have almost perfected my answer due to being asked this many, MANY times during this past month.

I have a few reasons for why I came to Hong Kong as opposed to London or just not going at all. The timing of this opportunity seemed to align perfectly with some of the events in my life, and weeks of contemplation between doubt and faith led me to realize that it was now or regret it A LOT later(I don't really believe in never).

First and foremost, of the abroad programs that provide the management courses I would need to stay on track for graduation, HK had the best exchange rate and lowest cost of living. Living abroad ain't cheap.

Second, it's in the center of Asia. A flight to anywhere in Asia is relatively cheap which I plan to take full advantage of. When else am I going to have 4 months to travel (assuming I land a job after I graduate)?

Third, many people in HK can speak English or understand basics at the least. I did not take a single semester of Chinese in college or everr (which btw would not help since Mandarin is taught in school and people in HK speak Cantonese).

Fourth, I wanted to meet new people. I am aware I can do this at school by joining a club or something, but I think that people bond differently when traveling together. Most people come abroad with an open mind to experience new cultures and people so it's generally easier to open up to each other-just my opinion.

Fifth, the HK program provides opportunities to intern full-time during the last 5 weeks. I want to intern here, mainly because I want to network in Asia. I hope to work in internationally one day, but I needed to see if I was potentially fit to work in a culturally different environment. So far, so good? Though..I don't think I could last a month without a greasy American cheeseburger. It's just not the same here...

Sixth, I wanted to challenge my faith. People who have been abroad know that attending church every Sunday is difficult with travel plans on weekends. But I don't think you should gauge how "good" your faith is solely based on church attendance. God is with us every where we go all the time. I think being in a new place helps me to rely on Him more as I've experienced this when I left home for Syracuse freshman year.

Last but not least, there were some things perhaps some people that I needed to let go of...or just get away from? haha I'm not running away, but I do think a break was called for. I wanted to start this new year fresh in a different place. A clean slate. We all need one sometimes.

Although I just listed 7 reasons for why I came to Hong Kong...I do believe that the realll reason I came has yet to be revealed, and I whole-heartedly look forward to finding out why I came here.

:)

6 comments:

  1. and u forgot the most important reason - the FOOD! and also to get away from the frozen tundra of central new york. i meesss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angela, greasy burger CAN be found in hong kong girl! You just gotta look around. http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/index.htm This is the BEST food searching website in HK! Good luck with your food hunting/ job hunting <3 We're praying for you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait... so why did you go to Hong Kong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi angela!

    post often, so that i know what's happening in your life :)

    miss you

    -janechoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh mangie.... even after reading your 7 reasons... like you said, i think the real reason has yet to be revealed. good luck little one!

    ReplyDelete