Carpooled with a lady co-worker today. She was late, so I had to wait for her 10 minutes. Cool. That didn't bother me too much though since I am a girl and have been known to be late on occasion (it's not easy being a girl). So yea, we chitchat about the weather, weekend plans, then got onto the topic of eating breakfast. That somehow led to her saying, "I can tell you're not much of a cook. Don't worry, I hardly cooked at your age too."
Wait, what?
I'm pretty sure I cook all the time--at least 4 times a week. I like cooking for my friends, and I practically made Thanksgiving dinner for my entire family last year--the whole nine yards with turkey AND ham. I don't know why this offended me so much because I obviously know she doesn't know me very well. But I think that's just it. What compelled her to say that about me to me, instead of simply asking me. Was it THAT obvious? Do I just look or act completely un-domestic (not that you have to be domestic to cook). Ironically, many of my close friends believe I was born to be a suburban housewife. I don't really take that as a compliment either, but my co-worker's statement seemed to deem me incapable of doing something that I actually can and love to do. I guess it makes sense that I don't appreciate the comment, but I didn't think I would be so bothered by it. I really don't deserve to vent because I could have just told her I do cook, but she was rambling on, and it didn't seem polite to interrupt. My goodness lady, just ask next time!
On another note, I started playing Anipang. I kinda suck, so that's why I'm always begging for more hearts from people.
i would have been so annoyed too hahaha. but, i think, if anything, her comment should make you feel more proud that you ARE good at and DO enjoy cooking, even though you apparently don't look it. i think knowing you, i definitely see both the vicious, competitive, stubborn hardworker, AS WELL AS the extremely hospitable, lovely dinner host. she knows you from one view only, which is work, and that implies that she probably thinks you're just a good worker. that's the cool part about getting to know someone-- there are hidden and unexpected passions.
ReplyDeletedon't be mad, angie :)